Hotel Maria La Gorda,
An Overview by Authentic Cuba Travel®
Maria la Gorda is located in the National Park and UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, Peninsula de Guanahacabibes
, in the Pinar del Rio province, in western Cuba.
This small friendly resort is situated on a sweeping, palm-fringed beach and is host to some of Cuba's finest dive sites.
Various versions of the legend of Maria la Gorda exist. She, along with other women, was part of a haul, and eventually
abandoned at this beach. As time went by, with some spare pounds and the funny nickname of "Maria La Gorda" (Mary, the Fat),
she started running the brothel which served the crews of the ships stopping by the area.
Maria la Gorda at the Peninsula de Guanahacabibes is a haven for Bird Watching
The area has a remarkable avifauna ranging from the Bee Hummingbird, the world's smallest bird, to several very rare species
including some species which are virtually endemic to the island of Cuba.
The International Diving Center of Maria la Gorda is a touristic spot dazzling because of the
magnificence of its ocean bottoms featuring the largest population of black coral in the archipelago. In terms of safety,
Maria la Gorda boasts instructive personnel qualified by the "Confederacion Mundial de Actividades Subacuaticas"
(World Confederation of Sub aquatic Activities).
Here, you can see many species of coral, including the largest colony of Black Coral in Cuban waters; gardens of gorgonians;
sponges; a large wall studded with grottoes; and Barracudas, Dog Snapper, Schoolmasters and other kind of Snappers, Marine Turtles.
Maria la Gorda offer also fantastic snorkeling, incredibly there are colorful fishes right up to the water edge.
Services and Amenities:
- 55 air-conditioning rooms with right on the beach
- 20 bungalows in second row from the beach
- Private bathroom, terrace or balcony
- Telephone- national & international calls
- Mini bar, satellite television, table and seats for breakfast
- Voltage 110v, radio alarm, safe deposit box.
- One buffet restaurant, one restaurant specialized in seafood
- Car rental, tours & tourist information desk.
- Staff trained in first aid, uniformed security personnel 24hrs.
- Doctor in hotel- on call 24hrs, pharmacy
- Scuba-diving courses with international certification.
- Marina services, anchorages, fuel and water, catering.
- Garden, parking, television lounge
- Water sports, beach volleyball, shop with the basics needs
- Mastercard & Visa (not USA bank issued) accepted.
- Money exchange, private off street parking.
- Reception staff speak Spanish, English, French, German, Italian.
The International Diving Center "Maria la Gorda",
ideal place for both, beginners and experienced divers.
The sea bottom in this area has the most clear and colorful contrasts and the
transparency of the water allows a visibility of 30 m long up to 30m of depth; the medium water temperature varies between
24C to 30C. The marine platform is very thin and ends very close from the coast with depths
between 200m and 1000m. The dive Center is efficiently run and the dive guides try very hard for
you to get the most out of your diving.