Santiago de Cuba
An Overview by Authentic Cuba Travel
The Hotel Casagranda is conveniently located on a corner of the popular Parque Céspedes, right in the heart of the historic headquarters of the Caribbean city of Santiago de Cuba, the Cradle of the Cuban Revolution
as it is known by locals.
Within walking distance we find the Cathedral of Santiago de Cuba, Casa de La Poesia, Casa de La Trova, the Carnival Museum, the Museum of Provincial History, the house of Spanish conquistador Diego Velazquez, among other significant venues, the Hotel Casa Granda maintains the simplicity and elegance of its eclectic architecture.
From the main terrace, rooftop and from the balconies of its comfortable full-of-character rooms, guests can take breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains, the bay of Santiago de Cuba and the cityscape of the second most populous city in Cuba.
Guests at the Casagranda enjoy a luxurious restaurant, specializing in Creole and international cuisine, a cozy terrace café-bar with views of the neighboring park, and a lookout point snack bar located in the Roof Garden on the top floor, with splendid views of the city, the mountains and the Caribbean.
Services and Amenities:
- Air-conditioning rooms with balcony & bay | mountain |city view.
- Telephone- national & international calls.
- Mini bar, satellite television, table and seats for breakfast.
- Hanger, hairdryer and plug for electric razor in the bathroom.
- Voltage 110v/ 220v, radio alarm, safe deposit box.
- Internet on hotel's PCs, laundry & ironing service.
- Car rental desk, taxis desk, tours & tourist information desk.
- Smoke detectors, fire alarms, strobes, extinguishers, sprinklers.
- Staff trained in first aid, uniformed security personnel 24hrs.
- Doctor in hotel- on call 24hrs.
- Bar, snacks and drinks 24 hours a day, TV room/bar.
- Conference halls & rooms, international cuisine.
- Lobby bar, cafe/ snack bar, modern building.
- Mastercard & Visa (not USA bank issued) accepted.
- Shop(s) with basic supplies, souvenirs & gifts, money exchange.
- Reception staff speak Spanish, English, French, German, Italian.
Dotted with a heroic revolutionary past, and located in a beautiful setting overlooking a bay at the foothill of the Sierra Maestra mountains, Santiago de Cuba, the country's second city, is a real pleasure to explore. Boasting a heavy history, this town is a testament of the Cuban traditional lifestyle, rocked to the rhythms of music, and of the political revolution of the country.
Santiago was founded by the Spanish in 1514, and was Cuba's capital between 1524 and 1549, as well as a hub for the island's slave trade in the 18th and 19th centuries. Today, Santiago is known by Cubans as the "Hero City" and considered as a bastion of nationalism, as the revolution originated in the city on July 26, 1953. It was also in Santiago that Fidel Castro accepted the surrender of Batista's army in 1959.